I’ve written a blog on thoughts before ( http://shethjuice.tumblr.com/post/3602431495) , but sometimes we all need to remind ourselves about what we need to do with the thoughts our mind come up with.
We either know something is certain or we’re making things up. When I say “making things” up I mean:
- we’re thinking about what someone will think, say, or do because of something we are about to do or have already done
- we think about how the action we are performing will reflect on us. Will we do it right or wrong? What will people say if we do it wrong, wait…what will people say if I do it right?
- like the above- we are afraid of failing at something (without even trying it yet and if we have failed at it before…what if we do again?)
- what will people think if I wear this? Or if I don’t wear this?
- Thoughts of unworthiness
- Judgement of people, places, and things.
Most of the stuff we make up involves what others will think about us. But, um, HELLO! We can only control what we think about ourselves. Whatever you think about yourself or what you’re doing will be projected onto others. If you think you’re going to do great, you will! If you think you’re going to be happy, you’re HAPPY! We also tend to make up thoughts about the outcome of an act we are going to do or are in the process of doing. We cannot predict the future. All we can do is focus on the now.
These made up thoughts are formed by our ego, the false self. I wrote a blog on this as well: http://shethjuice.tumblr.com/post/3477547900/the-false-self. We need to be aware of our thoughts and decide which ones are benefiting us and which ones aren’t.
Our mind/ego is constantly stirring things up and you have the control to choose what you want to keep in your mind and what you don’t; you are the only one who has the power to control your thoughts. No one else has this control unless you choose to give them that power. As long as we are aware of our thoughts we are capable of controlling them. We can laugh off whatever craziness our mind comes up with and forget about it and keep the thoughts that benefit us. Here’s an example of what I mean by the craziness the mind formulates:
- Checking out at the grocery store and having a cashier who is rude or has a bad attitude. I get pissed and curse them out in my head, but then I realize “Dude, what if they’ve had a bad day.”
- When someone can’t say my name (even my American name) properly I used to get so angry because I thought I had simplified it enough. I’d wonder, ”How freaking illiterate are you?!” But then I realized I can’t understand people sometimes, so, in turn, I should be more understanding.
We never know what someone is going through fully. Our mind/ego thinks up these thoughts that are sometimes really mean and horrible, but, remember to chill out. We’re all going through stuff, maybe great or maybe horrible, so just laugh off your crazy thoughts and go on your merry little way. Don’t let these crazy thoughts piss you off or get you down. Keep the good shit and dump out that bad shit! Also, be aware of the fact that everyone makes up thoughts. They might not be aware of it like you so have compassion towards them.
If any of the made up thoughts becomes a fact that isn’t benefiting you, then just brush your shoulders off and laugh it off. The only thoughts that matter are the ones that you decide to keep in your noggin!
I watched a video by Joyologist, Tricia Huffman, about this. It was an amazing video and reminded me to be more aware of my thoughts. Check her stuff out @ yourjoyologist.com. I always try my best to be aware of my mind’s tricks, but I sometimes forget. I really needed this reminder and hope by reminding myself I’m able to remind you as well.